Spring is back in full force and Earth Day has arrived once again to remind us just how much time we spend indoors. With the weather becoming warmer, it’s the perfect time to get cozy with mother nature.
I love Earth Day, but I also believe we should be earth-minded every day. Being conscious of the earth’s health- or lack of- is crucial for each and every one of us. However, it’s also important to relish the endless wonders of our planet each day, while still doing our part to make a positive change.
Here are 8 ways we can honor our Earth and ourselves every single day:
Stop and smell the roses (or just the grass, if you don’t have a rose bush in your yard, like me.)
- Setting aside time to step outside and breathe in some fresh air each day will have you feeling radiant. Most of us aren’t getting enough Vitamin D, anyway. Spending a little time in the sun or shade can actually lead to higher levels of Vitamin D and improved overall health!
Say no to plastic bottles. Use a metal or glass bottle instead.
- It’s scary to think about how many plastic bottles from packaged water, juice, and sodas are floating around, unable to descenegrate quickly. Even when they do descenegrate, they leave toxic residue in our soil and water.
Take off your shoes and stand in the grass and mud.
- Yes, I’m serious. At this point, you’re probably convinced I’m a crazy hippy, but I swear being barefoot is great for you!
- Some people call this activity “Earthing,” because of the fact that you connect directly with the earth when you touch your feet to the ground and begin standing or walking.
Take care of your plants (or obtain some plants to care for)
- Tending to and caring for your plants can feel very therapeutic. I’m actually the worst at keeping plants alive, but I’m giving it another shot for Earth Day).
- I like to try and research as much as I can about my plants so that I strive to give them the correct amount of sunlight and water (and love LOL) to optimize its life each day.
Be compassionate toward animals
- I don’t just mean your furry friends, although they deserve lots of love of course. I think it’s important for us to be compassionate toward wildlife, too. Opossums and raccoons may not seem super cuddly to most of us, but they deserve the same amount of respect as our pets.
Be kind to people. Yes, humans too!
- As much as animals deserve love and respect, humans deserve it just as much. We seem to be so focused on our own lives that we’re often detached from each other, forgetting that we are all equal beings.
- Smiling at a stranger can transform their whole day into a happy one. It’s a great way to bring a smile to your face and to someone else’s.
Eat your veggies and fruits
- Taking care of your body is actually good for the environment. It’s well known that animal livestock has the most negative impact on our planet. I’m not going to tell you to go vegetarian but adding more colorful vegetables to your plate than meat is a good option.
Recycle what you can
- I usually enjoy recycling because it gives me a little ego boost, since I know I’m doing something to help the environment.
- After a little while, recycling becomes a habit. It’s hard to go back to throwing cardboard in the trash can after getting used to placing it in the recycling bin.
Whether you’re alone or with a friend, spending time in nature and tending to the planet can help you find your center. Engaging in each of these things always helps me be in the present moment, which is what I hope for each of you reading this article.